Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Making a washing machine

I finally started making furniture, I started off with a washing machine in September, but that is not a furniture, it's a machine.. but still, a piece for the house.. =) I was a bit afraid of working with wood. I've been working in clay my whole life, and started both embroider and needle-felting and I did do that bed and then I started sketching on several wooden pieces =)
I miss proper tools and a working place, but with balsa wood I don't need it. I used a knife to cut out the pieces. But you have to be careful with balsa wood, it comes apart very easy! But I think it will do for my washing machine! But I will try a bit harder wood later.. I hope =) (the wardrobe I'm working on right now is made out of hard wooden sticks so I'm doing some progress..)

I started sketching on a squared piece of paper. Like when I built the small 1:144 scale houses. I like sketching on paper, and not on the computer =) But I collect inspiring pictures on my computer to look at when I need some inspiration and help with "how things suppose to look" =) Ikea's site is great, they have all the measurements and great pictures.

At first I thougt I could use a picture from the papers in the hatch, but then I wouldn't be able to open it.
So I started thinking of toilet-paper rolls, but then I remembered that I had saved some aluminium holders for candles, they are perfect for a washing machine =)
 
 I gave it holes with a needle, it's more realistic if you do it the other way, inside out, but it's easier to do like I did, outside in =)
 I glued it to a toilet-paper roll, I thought it would be easier to glue it to the machine this way.

 I don't exactly know what this is, its soft and a little sponge-like.. =) But I used it around the hatch, painted it white first.

I painted the whole machine white and added a button made of paper. And drew some lines =) And added a hatch. The hinge is also made of aluminium from a candle.

 I glued everything in place and stuffed the machine with some paper =)

 I glued some white wooden pieces inside the cylinder, just because my washing machine have things that looks like that ;)
And here is very I stopped...I need some kind of plastic piece for the hatch, but I haven't found it yet, so I didn't post this, because I wanted to finish the machine first... but I never know when I will be done, so I better post this now and I might add a picture of the finish hatch later =) I might add some buttons to the machine too!
This was quite a simple but fun thing to make! I had lots of fun doing it, and I started on a dishwasher too. I will write more about that later, that was much harder to make and I'm not done after a months work.. But I started with the wardrobe instead. Just like I always do =) Start new projects all the time, even before I finish the first one =)

Take care
Hannah

39 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Tack Britt =) Jag hoppas jag hittar en lämplig plastdel till luckan snart så att den kan bli klar =)

      Delete
  2. Muy bien Hannah !!!! Te ha quedado estupenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful job! What a great idea to use the candle holder for the inside of the machine.
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Lisa! I'm quite happy with this one =)

      Delete
  4. OMG that is a awesome washing machine! I love that you did the drum also, really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane!! I'm thinking of doing some water hoses on the back too, and throw in some dirty laundry ;)

      Delete
  5. Den er super flot, din vaskemaskine. Jeg kender så godt, til at have for mange, alt for mange projekter igang på en gang. Jeg tror bare jeg må acceptere at det er sådan jeg fungerer.
    knus
    wyrna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack Wyrna! Egentligen är det ju inget fel med att ha massa projekt på gång samtidigt, bara man har roligt med dem =) Men det är ju kul att se färdiga resultat då och då med =) Skönt att höra att jag inte är den enda som gör på det viset =)

      Delete
  6. perfect!!! :) wow..one more use for the candle holder!!! you willfind allthe pieces you need,i am sure! I willalsoamke a washing machine some time...i think it schould be in a dollhouse..even if it is older style,poor ladies...wouldn;t they have been happy to have one??? !!!Thanks also for commenting on my blog!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I'm doing a dishwasher right now too, my pregnant lady that will live in this house deserves some help with the house =) Especially since her husband hasn't come home yet, he needs some clothes so he is lying in the "things-to-fix-box" like a thousand other things ;)

      Delete
  7. Great work, Hannah! You are so creative! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your washing machine is fantastic. Wonderful idea with the candle holder.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. I like recycling, hope I can find a good plastic part for the hatch to recycle too =)

      Delete
  9. Hola Hannah
    Has hecho un fantaasdtico trabajo, me encanta
    Gracias por compartirlo.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oj, så fin den är och idén med värmeljuset är fenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vad du är duktig :) Du gav mig massa roliga pyssel ideér :) Men var lyckades du hitta Balsaträ? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack Anna =) Jag köpte mitt balsaträ på www.materialbutiken.se De hade fraktfritt en dag så då passade jag på =) Finns massa olika tjocklekar att välja på, de tunna går ju sönder lätt, men fördelen är att balsaträ går att skära lätt med kniv.

      Delete
  12. This is a brilliant design! Thank you for sharing this tutorial! I am a fan of your blog now!!! Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jane, and welcome to my blog =)

      Delete
  13. Thank you Hannah for this tutorial! It is wonderful!
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this and have a few questions:
    1. What is the measurement of the machine? (height, width, depth)
    2. What are those two things on the round door in picture number 8?
    3. How did you attach it the door to the machine so that it opens and closes?
    Overall this is an awesome miniature and if you sand the rough edges it will look even better. I would love to see an update on this item. I am in the process of making one myself based on this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      1. 5,2cm wide, 5,7cm deep and 7,3cm high
      2. I guess those two things you mean are the hinges.
      3. I made two hinges out of aluminium from a candle, to make the door open and close.

      Would love to see how your machine turns out, if you have a blog, feel free to comment again with a link to it =)
      I was looking at my machine yesterday, thinking I should finish it, but things always gets in the way =)

      Delete
  15. Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. I am working on it now. I have found some aluminum and am attempting to make some hinges. lol - uhm, can you explain how you made them??!! I will attempt to make miniature hinges. We'll see how mine work. I will post a picture when I finish mine. I don't have a blog just yet as I am just getting into miniatures, but that is something else I want to create. Maybe I will for my finished miniature washing machine! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again =) The hinges are really simple, just bent and glued in place, not a good solution really, I'd love to do a better one, but couldn't come up with anything better. I have been thinking of doing a new upgraded machine, with a better solution, but I just haven't got the time and any good ideas.. Hope you can make better hinges!
      And hope you get a blog soon =) It's a wonderful world with lots of friends and inspiring pictures =)

      Delete
  16. Thanks for helping

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
    My website is in the exact same area of interest as yours and
    my users would definitely benefit from some of the information you present
    here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hej, hittade detta lite av en slump.
    Har du nya projekt, eller fler rättare sagt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keep this going please, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I love to read your comments =)
Hannah